Monday, June 30, 2008

Featured Designer #5 Cara Taylor of Cara Taylor Handbags

Name: Cara Taylor Business Name: Cara Taylor Handbags Location: Northampton, MA
(all photos courtesy of the artist)

1. Tell us briefly what you make/do:
Everything I make is made from crocheted plastic (grocery) bags. My line originally started with handbags and now has expanded to include change purses of various sizes, cuff bracelets with vintage buttons and key chains.2. How long have you been doing it?
I began the process of making plastic yarn about 8 years ago as an Art student at the University of Delaware. I first made large, organic, crocheted sculptures and after a few years of that began experimenting with bag forms.

3. Where did you learn your skills?
My mom! She taught me how to crochet when I was a kid and I have always loved doing it.

4. What's your current inspiration?
The new colors of bags that people are sending me are fabulous! I feel like I have a complete new spring line and that is really exciting. I love trying new color combinations.

5. What have you been listening to while you work?
I have been watching the first season of 30 Rock and listening to the new Cat Power CD, the Flatlanders and M. Ward. Not all at the same time.

6. What else do you do to keep busy?
I am a full time art teacher at a public school and that keeps me busy. I am constantly working on something.

7. Any summer plans you are looking forward to?
The summer is when I get to relax, work on my house, garden, craft, drink coffee and sleep in.

If you can't make it to Paper Boat to check out Cara Taylor's work, visit her Etsy shop.

No comments: